Monday 13 April 2015

BLEACH LONDON - Total Bleach and The Big Pink


I'm pretty sure every girl at some point has thought of dyeing their hair a crazy colour, from dip dying it blue, going a silvery grey or becoming a pastel haired queen. I acted on this growing temptation, and I now have pink hair! If you want to find out how I achieved this pink carry on reading...


I'm going to start off explaining the few days leading up to the day I went pink...

You may remember spotting a Bleach London White Toner kit and the Bruised Violet dye in my Christmas haul (we're now four months into the year, how scary!) and I had been planning on topping up my blonde dip dye and going purple during my time off at Easter. So I did!

I don't have much experience at all with hair dye, as all I've ever done to it is dip dye it twice, the first time being almost 3 years ago now (woah).

Although I didn't have as much blonde left as I once had, I used the White Toner kit in the hope to tone the brassy and yellowness of the blonde down, with the hope to achieve a lighter base for the purple dye. You may have noticed the word, "hope".

It didn't really work.

Luckily, the result was not catastrophic, and I didn't have to dig out a hat to cover my hair. To quote McFly, I was that, "[weirdo] with five colours in her hair". The toner didn't seem to alter my hair whatsoever, meaning the purple dye was not applied to "light blonde hair", which they recommend. Inside of a cool purple result, I had a combination of purple, pink and blue hues on a relatively brown base. With a hint of blonde.


Although it wasn't the result I had wanted, I did quite like it. Although the ends weren't noticeably different and looked quite similar to my natural hair colour, there was a subtle hint of lilac tones which did look pretty cool. Almost as if the purple, blue and pink tones were natural!

I then decided to go ahead and bleach more of my hair and dye the blonde pink, as ever since I coloured my hair with a hair chalk at V Festival last year, I have always fancied going pink properly.


Sticking with Bleach London, I used the Total Bleach kit to strip the colour out of my hair and leave me with a light blonde base to dye over. I left the bleach on for 45 minutes, the maximum time it suggests and also wrapped my ends in foil to intensify the process. And it was pretty powerful stuff!

On towel dried hair I (my Nanna) then applied a generous amount of the pink dye ensuring there was no blonde left. To make sure of this we went slightly higher than the blonde.

The recommended time to leave the dye is 15 minutes, but after watching several YouTube videos on various Bleach London dyes, they at least doubled the length of time to intensify the colour. Although I was now working on blonde hair, I left the dye on for 45 minutes to really allow the colour to work well.

With my head awkwardly hanging over the bath with the shower hose in my hand, the rinsing out process was pretty exciting. Yet unbelievably uncomfortable. It was so fun to see the deep pink water run from my hair and then slowly but surely the water was starting to run a little clearer. I was probably upside down for at least 10 minutes before my mum came to see how I was doing, who then took the shower hose and helped me rinse out the parts I had missed.

And here's the result...


I still can't get used to looking down and seeing pink hair!

I was slightly worried about using the pink dye on the bleached ends without using a toner, as most of the reviews and tutorials I looked at had used one. The last thing I wanted was an odd result because I had too many yellow and brassy tones in my hair! However I feel that by leaving the dye on for such a long period of time eliminated the chances of it going wrong.


I'd 100% recommend Bleach London products, the hair dyes are only £5 each from Boots and you can get plenty of use out of one bottle. The kits, White Toner and Total Bleach are £7.

If you have any questions about any of the products I used or how I used them feel free to leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...